Wednesday 29 November 2017

The Bad Beginning by Lemony Snicket

Dear Reader,

I'm sorry to say that the book you are holding in your hands is extremely unpleasant. It tells an unhappy tale about three very unlucky children. Even though they are charming and clever, the Baudelaire siblings lead lives filled with misery and woe. From the very first page of this book when the children are at the beach and receive terrible news, continuing on through the entire story, disaster lurks at their heels. One might say they are magnets for misfortune.

In this short book alone, the three youngsters encounter a greedy and repulsive villain, itchy clothing, a disastrous fire, a plot to steal their fortune, and cold porridge for breakfast.

It is my sad duty to write down these unpleasant tales, but there is nothing stopping you from putting this book down at once and reading something happy, if you prefer that sort of thing.

With all due respect,
Lemony Snicket


“It is useless for me to describe to you how terrible Violet, Klaus, and even Sunny felt in the time that followed. If you have ever lost someone very important to you, then you already know how it feels, and if you haven't, you cannot possibly imagine it.”

I remember the first time that I read this book, way back when. I didn't think that the author was going to be serious about having an unhappy ending, but he certainly delivered. It was terrible, everything in this book was pretty much terrible for the Baudelaires. First, they lose everything and everyone that they every loved, and then they are sent to live with such a terrible man that there is no way that they should have had to deal with what they did.

And yet they did, and like the book said, this is just the beginning.

Such a quick and easy read for me to kind of alleviate my brain from that long book that I just read before. Yes, I may have listened to it, but it was about 23 hours of listening to that book, and it was spread out over the entire month. I definitely recommend listening to it because they have multiple voices and it feels like you're watching a movie or something in your head when you're listening to it. I really enjoyed it.

Sorry this is a short review, but it's a short book. Go read it!

Rated: 5/5 

No comments:

Post a Comment