Thursday 19 February 2015

1929: Chapter 1 - Black Tuesday 1929; 5pm

A figure was free falling from an adjacent building.
 Everything that happened to Jonathan and his two friends Aryl and Caleb occurred in the blink of an eye. I felt like I was in their shoes, watching the world fall apart right in front of me, except I didn’t quite understand what happened. This story takes place in 1929, beginning at the exact time the Stock Market crashed, and as I read through it, all I could think about was just how quickly life could change. It wasn’t just Jonathan and his friends that were affected though. Their wives and the families of everyone investing in stock so heavily at the time lost everything. There was panic everywhere, and I could feel it as I read it. I can only imagine what they plan on doing to survive, a real riches to rags tale that will test the kind of character they have in the worst of times.
It was also interesting to see how each wife reacted in the same situation. Ava (Jonathan’s wife) seemed to be the strongest out of the three, even though when she first heard the news she almost went into shock. She seems like the type of wife to stick with her husband through these troubling times, even if they will have to start all the way from the bottom and eventually work their way back to the top. Not a lot of background is provided on the wives, although there is a story for one of them that will be interesting to read when you get to this section. Claire (Aryl’s wife) and Arianna (Caleb’s wife) also react differently to the news that their husbands bring home, with Arianna reacting in the most dramatic way out of the three.
I will promise to keep this blog spoiler free, so I won’t go into any more details on that bit. Just know that the men have a lot of work to do if they are going to make a living for their wives, and the wives are going to have to decide on whether love will keep their family together, or was the money the reason why they stayed.  Keep on the look-out for another post regarding Chapter 2. Looks to be a long one, so hopefully in the next day or two I’ll have one up.
Happy New Years!

No comments:

Post a Comment