Wednesday 23 March 2016

Tuesday Talks - First Book in a Series

Hey everyone! Welcome to another segment of Tuesday Talks. If you want to get involved in the discussions and check out the past topics, feel free to check out the group on Goodreads.

If you did not enjoy the first book in a series, do you continue on?

This one is actually a pretty big deal breaker for me. There are a lot of series that I find interest in, and I always take a big chance in reading the first book. Once I don't like it, I won't go on to the rest of the series, no matter how many books there are. I can talk about one series in particular. I didn't realize it was a series until I checked it out on GoodReads, and unfortunately this was after I read the book. I could barely get through it, and it is not part of my character to leave a book unfinished, no matter how horrid it is. I won't name the book here, in case there are those who actually liked it contrary to my opinion (there are quite a few positive reviews on GoodReads), and I don't want those who haven't read it to have expectations.

As much as the book left me with a cliffhanger, the fact that I had no desire to even finish the book made me not want to find out what happens to Channie and the rest of the characters in the series. It was that terrible.

I've actually been really lucky at finding series that I actually like based off the first book alone. I think if there were more like my previous example, then i would feel really upset. Of course, as you can probably tell from my reading history from last year and this year, I've mostly been reading only the first book of multiple series for some reason. Maybe I just don't want any of these series to end like all the rest of them do, but they will eventually have to one day.

What do you think? Does your approval of the first book determine whether or not you continue a series? Let me know in the comments below.


1 comment:

  1. Ya if a book is absolutely horrible, I'm not going to finish it. I just hope I never write a book like the one you mentioned lol

    ReplyDelete