Friday 29 December 2017

The Wide Window by Lemony Snicket

Dear Reader,

If you have not read anything about the Baudelaire orphans, then before you read even one more sentence, you should know this: Violet, Klaus, and Sunny are kindhearted and quick-witted; but their lives, I am sorry to say, are filled with bad luck and misery. All of the stories about these three children are unhappy and wretched, and this one may be the worst of them all. If you haven't got the stomach for a story that includes a hurricane, a signalling device, hungry leeches, cold cucumber soup, a horrible villain, and a doll named Pretty Penny, then this book will probably fill you with despair. I will continue to record these tragic tales, for that is what I do. You, however, should decide for yourself whether you can possibly endure this miserable story.

With all due respect,

Lemony Snicket


“There are few sights sadder than a ruined book.” 

I swear the books just get worse and worse (meaning the content, not my thoughts of the books). I think Aunt Josephine was the absolute worse guardian that the Baudelaires ever had, not including Count Olaf of course. I don't think anyone can be on par with Uncle Monty except their parents, and of course, if their parents were alive they wouldn't have had to deal with all of these unfortunate events.

Reading this for the second time - the first time being a long, long time ago - I had to realize that the Baudelaires were practically thrown away by Aunt Josephine. I don't know if I ever realized it to the extent that I did today just how terrible she was. She was a coward, and I don't know how her husband Ike ever dealt with her. I don't know how she never died of fright earlier. How she lived so long was beyond me.

In case you didn't notice, I'm trying to get through all of these books to finally see what happened to the Baudelaires. I never finished the series the first time around, but here I am, trying to accomplish this goal. So here goes.

Poor Baudelaires.

Rated: 4/5 

No comments:

Post a Comment