Wednesday 3 February 2016

Tuesday Talks - Required Reading

Hey guys!

Welcome to this week's Tuesday Talks. It's a new month, which means new topics to discuss, and we all know how much fun that is! If you are curious about what the topics will be for this month, or if you want to participate in Tuesday Talks on your own blog or YouTube channel, go ahead and check out the Tuesday Talks group on GoodReads. Please feel free to comment your thoughts, and let me know if you will start joining in on the discussions! It's always fun to read new thoughts.


What do you think of required reading in school?


It's kind of a double edged sword for me. Sometimes, I feel like having required reading is essential to the topic of discussion for whatever is happening during that time. Let's say that your professor is requiring you to read up on some past law cases in order to understand the topic of Habeus Corpus. I can understand why that type of required reading is important. But what if the topic is poetry and instead of being able to choose your favorite poem, you can only read what your professor tells you to read, and it's not something that speaks to you or one that you can understand solely because you can't relate to what the author is saying? Is it fair that you have to read it just because the professor feels like that particular poem should be required? I don't think so.

It could just be because I don't like to be forced to read something that I don't find interesting, or it could be that I don't want to have to read a required reading when it takes up my time to read the rest of the books I have on my shelves. Trust me when I say I have a lot of catching up to do. I think that if it will help me understand the topic that I'm currently learning at that moment in time, and it actually makes sense to me, then I'm down to read it. If not, then don't waste my time.

Wow that one was actually really short. Sorry about that. What do you guys think about required reading? Yay or Nay? Let me know.


No comments:

Post a Comment