Thursday 15 February 2018

Crazy Rich Asians by Kevin Kwan

When New Yorker Rachel Chu agrees to spend the summer in Singapore with her boyfriend, Nicholas Young, she envisions a humble family home and quality time with the man she hopes to marry. But Nick has failed to give his girlfriend a few key details. One, that his childhood home looks like a palace; two, that he grew up riding in more private planes than cars; and three, that he just happens to be the country’s most eligible bachelor. 
 
On Nick’s arm, Rachel may as well have a target on her back the second she steps off the plane, and soon, her relaxed vacation turns into an obstacle course of old money, new money, nosy relatives, and scheming social climbers.


Book Overview:

Author: Kevin Kwan | Series: Crazy Rich Asians | Format: Audiobook | Narrated by: Lynn Chen | Length: 13 hours, 53 mins | Publish Date: May 20, 2014 | Genre: Contemporary | Rated: ★ ★ ★ ★  | Recommend: HECK YES



“Remember, every treasure comes with a price.” 

I normally don't read adult books, let alone adult contemporary books, but since I know the movie is coming out this year and I heard such good things about this book, I knew I had to at least try it.

I definitely was not disappointed.

One of the reasons why I wanted to read this book as well was because there aren't many books about Asian families that I've come across. I read The Joy Luck Club by Amy Tan, after watching the movie with my mom countless times. You could say that the premise can be deemed similar in that it's about Chinese families, but that's pretty much where the similarities end. In this case, this book is about the life and times of the crazy rich Asian families in Singapore, and what happens when a lowly commoner falls in love with one of their prodigal sons.

Rachel Chu was invited by her boyfriend, Nicholas Young, to spend an entire summer in Singapore with his family. She's down for the trip but has no idea what she's getting into. It's not her fault though since Nick never thought to tell her that he's actually from a hella rich family, and is pretty much Asian royalty because of it. So you can imagine her surprise when she finds that Singapore is filled with rich and snooty girls thinking that Rachel is only after Nick for his money, and resorting to their mean girl tactics to get her to disappear forever.


“Just because some people actually work for their money doesn’t mean they are beneath you.” 

See, Rachel doesn't come from an affluent family, although her mother has become a successful real estate agent in her own right. She met her boyfriend Nick at NYU, where they are both undergraduate professors - her in economics and him in history - and the rest is history. They've been dating for two years now, and Nick has met Rachel's mother and uncle in San Francisco. You would think that it would have been time for Rachel to meet Nick's family already right?

Well...

So of course, chaos ensues. It's so interesting to know just how far these rich Chinese women will go to find out Rachel's background, and how far they will go to get Nick to break up with her. They don't let just anyone in, and with Rachel being pretty much a nobody, there's no way that they are going to accept her just like that. The vindictiveness of these "crazy rich Asians" added just enough drama to this book that made me continue it, but I think it was the behavior of the rich boys that made me laugh out loud even more.

There were aspects of the book, like Rachel's mom worrying about what Nick's parents would think about her not behaving like a proper Chinese daughter that made me think about my own family. We may only be part Chinese, but Rachel's mom really reminded me of my own and I had to appreciate my mom every single time Rachel's mom was in the picture. I love it when books do that. They usually get a special part in my heart for years to come.

I honestly can't wait to see how this book translates onto the big screen. I looked up the cast, and I agree with everyone they chose! It's almost perfect, and I really hope they do this book justice.


Author Spotlight
Courtesy of Goodreads

Born: in Singapore, Singapore
Genre: Fiction, Chick Lit, Contemporary
Goodreads Member Since: March 2013

Kevin Kwan is the author of "Crazy Rich Asians," the international bestseller now being adapted as a major motion picture. The sequel, "China Rich Girlfriend," will be released on June 16, 2015. Born and raised in Singapore, Kwan has called Manhattan home for the past two decades but still craves pineapple tarts and a decent plate of Hokkien mee. 


No comments:

Post a Comment