Monday 29 January 2018

Buddy Read Discussion: Dorothy Must Die with Trish


Hello everyone!

Thank you all for your patience! I know it must have been really exciting to see that I was doing a blog collaboration for the first time ever. I know I was excited about it, and I still am!

As you remember, Trish with WideAngledLife and I decided to do a buddy read for Dorothy Must Die by Danielle Paige. Well, we both finished the book, and let me say that it was one hell of a ride!


* * * S P O I L E R S  A L E R T * * *

Turn back now if you don't want to be spoiled!


* * * * L E E L Y N N ' S  T H O U G H T S * * * *


So when I was reading this book, all I could think about was how this book was totally not what I was expecting. I mean yes, reading the synopsis I know that this isn't going to be the Wonderful Wizard of Oz with the singing Munchkins and all the bright colors and stuff. I knew it, but still. It just threw me off when Amy finally got to Oz.

This book definitely does not shy away from the death and violence. Paige introduces us to a potentially amazing character, a munchkin named Indigo who has a sassy attitude and a killer fashion sense, only to have her brutally killed by the Evil Tin Woodman! Like, are you kidding me?! I was so looking forward to Indigo's sass and her telling off Amy for being so ignorant, but no. She goes and gets murdered because AMY decides to break the law and Indigo ends up being punished for it. It wasn't fair, and I was so pissed off.

Like, very pissed off.

So then Amy gets taken away to the Emerald City, where she meets Dorothy who has definitely grown up to be a bad ass bitch, and not in a nice way either. She's grown into her body, is seen as very sexual with her cleavage and short dress, and just doesn't sound like a good person at all. Amy called it when she figured that Dorothy would want her destroyed. Since Amy is now the second girl to come from Kansas by way of a tornado, who's to say that this won't happen again? Especially since right now, Dorothy has all the power in Oz over magic and all of the inhabitants of Oz? She's had hundreds of people and creatures killed during her reign, so clearly she's not trying to be Good.

And what exactly was going on through Dorothy's mind that she wanted to destroy the Oz that treated her so well? Like the Munchkins ever did anything evil to her! But she doesn't care. She punishes and kills without remorse, only caring about herself and how much magic and power she can gain. Even the "Good Witch" Glinda has turned into an evil bitch, with this fake ass "perma smile" so that her face is forever creepy and nothing like what I remember.

I mentioned to Trish that I just felt like this book was sad. Not the crying kind of sad - although I did tear up a bit when I realized that Indigo really was dead - but the kind where you realize that the world is completely different from what you expected and it's not going to change anytime soon. It was just... sad.

Like I said in my review, I really did enjoy this book. I just couldn't get over how much Oz was destroyed by Dorothy. None of them deserved this, and when witnessing the deaths of those that actually want to change Oz back for the better, it makes me hate Dorothy even more. Amy has the mission to kill Dorothy, and she failed. Since there are more books to follow Amy in her journey, she better succeed in getting rid of this parasite.

Dorothy must die... along with her terrible and ugly friends.


* * * * T R I S H ' S  T H O U G H T S * * * *

I just wanna say that I have no idea how this book has less then 4 stars on Goodreads. I have heard a lot of mixed reviews about this book so I decided to read it for myself. I am super glad I did. I absolutely loved it! The writing style in this book is amazing. The world building was some of the best I have ever read in a book and that is really saying something. As I was reading I felt like I could vividly see everything in front of me. The characters were well developed and so unique in their own ways.

Check out Trish's full review on her blog: wide angled life.


* * * * F I N A L  T H O U G H T S * * * * 

I hope you all enjoyed reading our thoughts about Dorothy Must Die. We plan on continuing the series and doing other buddy read posts so you can see what we think about everything! Feel free to leave comments on what you thought about Dorothy Must Die, and whether or not you plan on reading the rest of the series with us.

1 comment:

  1. I am super glad we got to do this together! I am looking forward to many more collabs!

    ReplyDelete