Tuesday 30 January 2018

Linger by Maggie Stiefvater

the longing.

Once Grace and Sam have found each other, they know they must fight to stay together. For Sam, this means a reckoning with his werewolf past. For Grace, it means facing a future that is less and less certain.

the loss.

Into their world comes a new wolf named Cole, whose past is full of hurt and danger. He is wrestling with his own demons, embracing the life of a wolf while denying the ties of being a human. 

the linger.

For Grace, Sam, and Cole, life a constant struggle between two forces--wolf and human--with love baring its two sides as well. It is harrowing and euphoric, freeing and entrapping, enticing and alarming. As their world falls apart, love is what lingers. But will it be enough?


Book Overview:

Author: Maggie Stiefvater | Series: The Wolves of Mercy Falls | Format: Audiobook | Narrated by: Dan Bittner, Pierce Cravens, Emma Galvin, & Jenna Lamia | Length: 10 hours, 38 mins | Publish Date: July 13, 2010 | Genre: YA Fantasy/Paranormal Romance | Literary Awards: Goodreads Choice Award Nominee for Goodreads Author, Favorite Heroine, Favorite Book, Young Adult Fantasy (2010) | Rating: ★ ★ ★  | Recommend: Maybe

“This is a love story. I never knew there were so many kinds of love or that love could make people do so many different things.
I never knew there were so many different ways to say goodbye.”


Oh my gosh. I am so very frustrated with this book. I feel like giving it 4 stars is generous.

Let me explain.

So I feel like I could have read the first one, and it would have been fine to leave it the way it was. The way that Shiver ended was absolutely perfect. There was a happy ending, true love between a girl and her wolf, and that was that. Nothing else needed to happen, and I wouldn't have known that things were actually not okay.

But of course, I kept hearing such great things about this series so I had to find out what the next book contained. I still don't know whether or not it was a good idea, and the reason is Grace and Sam.

Yes, I understand that this series is about their love: Grace, a human girl, and Sam, a boy that becomes a wolf. Somehow, they meet when Sam becomes human during the fall, and their love is one that is supposed to be epic. It's clear that they love one another, and they proved that they would do pretty much anything to make sure that they would be in each other's lives.

“I just looked at her, feeling utterly empty. I didn’t know what I was supposed to say to her. My life is in that bed. Please let me stay.” 

So now we come to this book, and that love has pretty much consumed their lives. While Grace's parents have never been good by any means necessary - her father forget her in the car on the hottest day of the year and she almost died as a child - but I don't think that gives Grace the right to be a brat. She is so disrespectful to her parents, and I understand that she's hurt that they never thought to be actual parents to her, but that doesn't excuse her behavior. She constantly defies them and yet she expects to have the luxuries that they have provided her? Like her car, for example. Does she not realize that they could easily take that way from her (not just the keys), and she can't say anything about it? She was just a lovesick little teenager that believed that she knew everything about life and didn't need her parents.

Yet what happens when she gets extremely sick? Who has to take her to the hospital? Oh, and does she know who's paying for her health insurance? Yeah, I bet it's not her.

My favorite part of this book was having Isabelle's point of view. She was the only one that was actually thinking straight and even called out Grace and Sam on numerous occasions for when they decide to be stupid. Isabelle lost her own flesh and blood for goodness sake, and yet she can see things in rational ways and is considered the voice of reason. Too bad nobody wants to listen to her.

That's all I can really say about this book. Yes, Grace and Sam are cute... well they were in the first one. In this one, they are just way too irritating for me to appreciate it.

So I guess I have to read the third one to find out how all of this ends... We'll see if it ends on a better note.

No comments:

Post a Comment